6 Ways to Prevent "Maskne" (Mask Acne)
Almost overnight face masks became an essential part of everyday life. As we adjust to the new norm, it also comes with new challenges especially when it comes to skincare. Maskne, the pesky breakouts you're getting under your mask, happens when there is heat, friction, and occlusion on the skin mixed with a moist environment from breathing, talking, or sweating. On top of that, the prolonged occlusion, heat, and sweat can cause the skin to become dry, itchy, and raw. Here are a couple of tips for combating Maskne.
1. Wash Your Face: Use a gentle cleanser free of oil and fragrance and rinse with lukewarm water. This prevents dirt and oil from getting trapped under the skin's surface and causing breakouts. Nonie's Skin Cleanser is the perfect product to use before and after mask usage because it's gentle, made with all-natural ingredients, and can be used without water for effortless cleansing.
2. Apply Moisturizer: Moisturizer will not only keep your face hydrated but also act as a barrier between your skin and the mask. We have a selection of moisturizers to choose from that are tailor made for different skin types. Using the right moisturizer for your skin type will increase your changes of avoiding breakouts.
3. Avoid Wearing Make-Up: Wearing makeup under a mask not causes clogged pores and breakouts but also soils your mask quicker shortening its usage.
4. Avoid Soaps with Fragrances: Fragrances can irritate your skin, now trap that under a mask and that's a recipe for acne.
5. Stay Away from Hash Products: Medicated skincare products that contain benzoyl peroxide, retinol, and salicylic acid will be more irritating to the skin under a mask
6. Wash Your Mask: If you wear cotton masks be sure to wash it after each use. Its surface contains dirt and oil and can become a breeding ground for bacteria from your nose and mouth.
For severe cases that don't seem to be getting better after implementing these tips, consider visiting a dermatologist.